ASB Premiership Standings

Grand Final


Sun 16 Mar, 2.35pm, 2014
Kiwitea St, Sandringham

2013/14 ASBP Media Guide

2013/14 ASBP Draw

Play by Play / Wrap

AC News WU News WF News HB News YHM News TW News CU News OU News

Otago United

Auckland City


ASB Premiership - Round 2
Forsyth Barr Stadium, Dunedin
Sunday 11 November, 2012


Regan Coldicott 62'

Luis Corrales 85, 90+2'
Alex Feneridis 89'



Halftime:   0-0                    Referee:  Campbell-Kirk Waugh                              Crowd: 200


Auckland prevail with late goal flurry

by Rab Smith at Forsyth Barr Stadium 

DUNEDIN - A red card for Regan Coldicott scuppered Otago United's hopes of beating Auckland City for the first time in six years today. 

With the home side ahead 1-0 with just eleven minutes to play, pandemonium broke loose when Coldicott was ordered off. 

It was a decision vociferously questioned by team captain Tristan Prattley and other Otago officials long after the final whistle.
The fact that Auckland scored three goals in the final eight minutes, to snatch a 3-1 win, hardly calmed the situation down for locals.

Otago - beaten 3-0 last week by Manawatu - dug deep to deny the slick passing style employed by Auckland City who depart for the FIFA Club World Cup in two weeks time.
Giant centreback Matt Joy led Otago's uncompromising backline, with a superb personal display, closely followed by faultless performances from keeper Liam Little, Craig Ferguson, Thomas Connor and Tristan Prattley.
Sometimes it was a desperate tackle that thwarted Auckland, but as often as not, the Otago defence played calm football and worked the ball forward with good passing movements.
Predictably Auckland held the lion share of ball possession, and flattered to deceive with intricate patterns that foundered on Otago's rocklike defence.
Coach Richard Murray was ecstatic when his strategy of deep defence and springlike counter-attack led to a goal in the 62nd minute.
Andrew Ridden set Regan Coldicott free on the left, his pace caused panic, and a driven cross at Auckland's near post, had keeper Tamati Williams sprawling Coldicott's effort crept in at the near post.
Burgess had been ably assisted by continual lung bursting runs from youngster Joel Stevens who several times embarrassed the languid northerners defensive unit led by current New Zealand international cap record holder Ivan Vicelich.
Morgan Day also put himself about, and showed tight control, fullback Connor slammed on some tackles that caused sparks, and when Victor da Costa went lame, Seamus Ryder enthusiastically joined the fray.
Losing the French midfielder was a disappointment, but nothing like the agony for home fans when referee Waugh reduced Otago to ten men in the 79th minute by sending off Coldicott for what he considered time wasting.
Coach Murray said:

"We were still one goal ahead, but to lose a pair of legs at that stage was critical. Our whole team had run its socks off, and predictably Auckland started to buzz," he said.
A sustained spell of Auckland pressure eventually had ten man Otago buckling, and the quicksilver skills of Luis Corrales shot his side back into contention with just five minutes left.
From there, Otago laboured as Auckland poured forward in search of a winner and their intricate passing game eventually created dividends as weary Otago legs gave in.
Keeper Little continued to gather high balls, and centreback Joy was almost impassable, but runs by James Pritchett and on the left Takuya Iwata, stretched the locals.
With less than sixty seconds of the ninety minutes remaining, substitute Alex Feneridis had a close range shot blocked, but the ball's momentum spun onwards past keeper Little to give the visitors a vital 2-1 lead.
In a desperate attempt to snatch something from the game, Otago centreback Joy transferred his skills forward, but two minutes into time added on it was Corrales who evaded a depleted Otago defence and rammed home a final nail into Otago's coffin for a 3-1 win that sent the Ramon Tribulietx-coached side top of the table.
Clearly upset, Otago coach Richard Murray reserved rich praise his team.

"We deserved something from the game. It was brave defending and we scored a top goal against the league leaders. But football can be very cruel, especially with eight minutes to go," he said.
Auckland coach Ramon Tribulietx complimented his players application to the task.

"We had to just persist with our passing game, and finish better in front of goal which we eventually did," he said.

Next week, Otago face Canterbury in the all South Island derby at ASB Football Park in Christchurch, while Auckland City host Hawke's Bay at Kiwitea Street.




Team Sheet

Otago United


Auckland City

1. Liam LITTLE (GK)

12. Tamati WILLIAMS

3. Tristan PRATTLEY

3. TAKUYA IWATA (Coralles 64')

5. Matt JOY

5. Angel BERLANGA  (Berlanga 72')

8. Seamus RYDER

6. Jason HICKS

9. Victor da COSTA (Ridden 18')


12. Aaron BURGESS (Hancock 75')

8. Chris BALE

15. Tom CONNOR


21. Joel STEVENS

14. Adam DICKINSON (Tade 58')



25. Craig FERGUSON

16. Albert RIERA

27. Morgan DAY

17. Pedro GARCIA



22. Peter EVANS (RGK)



2. Simon ARMS

10. Ant HANCOCK (75')

10. Luis CORRALES  (64') 

18. Scott GANNON

13. Alex FENERIDIS (72') 

20. Andy RIDDEN (18')

20. Emiliano TADE (58')


=yellow card

=2 yellow cards

= red card

Play by Play


Hello and welcome to the Forsyth Barr Stadium here in Dunedin for coverage of this Round Two ASB Premiership fixture between Otago United and Auckland City. For the hosts, the season could not have started worse, but for the visitors a win over Canterbury at home last week was just the start they wanted. Team news is yet to come to hand, but stay tuned.  


Of course, you can offer your comments and questions via the ASB Premiership Twitter account: @ASBPremiership. Will check this as the match progresses and maybe even include the odd bit of wisdom offered on there.


Teams are above. Three changes for Otago United. At fullback, Craig Ferguson comes back from suspension replacing Jake Morrison who had a rather lacklustre Otago debut last week. Joel Stevens, who showed plenty coming of the bench last week replaces Aajay Cunningham in right midfield and Seamus Ryder replaces Ant Hancock. Looking like Otago may be shifting to a 4-5-1 after last weeks poor showing. For Auckland, two changes from the side that beat Canterbury, Pedro Garcia and Manel Exposito come in, Alex Feneridis drops to the bench, Daniel Koprivcic drops out all together.


Much colder day here in Dunedin compared to last weeks exceptionally warm day. Raining heavily outside, not an issue of course for us under the roof. Pitch is flat, grass is short, a few slightly bald patches in the middle of the park, which I'm told is due to an automated sprinkler error. Won't affect things too much.


Word from across the other side town that Footballsouth Women are tied 1all with Capital at halftime in the ASB National Womens League.


Teams entering now. Otago in blue with yellow trim, Auckland in all white, referees in black.


Otago win the toss, choose to play toward the west. Auckland to kickoff.


Auckland City kickoff and we're away.


Auckland don't let Otago near the ball for the first 60 secoonds, admittedly they don't cross halfway either.


First foray into the Otago half is easily defended by Tristan Prattley.


Auckland are Barcelona-esque with their early passing and off the ball movement. In saying that, they haven't done much with it early and we all saw what Celtic did midweek. Dunedin is a very Scottish city as well


Victor da Costa makes a nuisance of himself, but gives away a free kick. Possibly for handball.


Albert Riera beats two defenders, but Matt Joy wins the tackle and clears well.


Delay as an Otago player goes down holding his leg. I think it's da Costa. It is. He goes off, but he should be able to return.


First real chance for Auckland as Reira breaks down the left. His cross find the head of Adam Dickinson, who heads well over.


Craig Ferguson fouls Jason Hicks just outside the edge of the penalty area. Hicks keeps the ball, advantage is played, his shot blocked by Joy and cleared.


Angel Berlanga shoots from distance. Despite a deflection, Little reads it well and is equal to it.


Otago's 9. Victor da Costa after making a brief return, can't continue and has been replaced by 20. Andy Ridden.


Joel Stevens goes down and he doesn't look well at all. He continues, but it wouldn't surprise if Richard Murray is forced to use a second substitution in the opening half hour.


Enterprising play down the right by James Pritchett wins his team a corner. It is poorly defended by Otago, but equally poorly executed by Auckland City. Goal kick.


James Pritchett on the right  for about the 4th time this match has got in behind Otago left back Craig Ferguson and is looking enterprising.


Otago freekick. 40 yards out, middle of the pitch. Met well by a leaping Tamati Williams.


Joel Stevens has the ball in a promising centre field position. Does poorly and is tackled well. Regan Colidcott regathers for Otago, his low shot from some distance well blocked.


Liam Little leaps high to deal with a cross. Fouled by Dickinson. Free kick.


Dickinson wins his team a corner, ball only just crossing the line. Although they'd have preferred it stay in as they were a real chance. Corner met well by Little.


Aaron Burgess takes a tumble over Berlanga. Wants a freekick. Doesn't get one.


Best chance for Auckland so far. Sharp passing, Berlanga has a shot with plenty of time in space. Saved by Little. 


Otago win a corner. Ryder takes. Punched clear by Williams.


Auckland break fast. Looking ominous. Tom Connor fouls and gets a yellow for breaking up a promising attack. Free kick comes to nothing.


Iwata breaks into the box. Thinks he's won a corner, he hasn't. Tom Connor and Tristan Prattley get a long hard talking to by referee Waugh. Not sure what for.


Chris Bale tries a volley from close to 30 yards out. Very high and very wide.


A free kick from Jason Hicks is nearly met by Dickinson, nearly cleared by a defender, nearly snuck in the far post. Did none of those things and it's a goal kick.


Rough challenge by Regan Coldicott earns him a yellow card.


Ryder breaks at pace for Otago. Comes to nothing.


4th Official signals 3 minutes of stoppage time.


Halftime called. Otago 0, Auckland 0. Despite having very little of the ball, Otago go into the sheds on level terms and they'll be reasonably happy about that. Auckland looked the better, but have had very few clear chances.


Both teams had a lot to be happy about in the first half. Auckland still should win this game, but from memory, it was Round 2 in the 2009/10 season across town at Carisbrook where Otago held out Auckland to take a share of the points after a Nil all draw. I can be pretty sure they'd take that result today.

Still HT

Teams coming back on now. Having gone back in the history books, my memory served me correctly. Each side having two players in the starting XI on that day, in the starting XI today. Morgan Day and Tristan Prattley for Otago, Ivan Vicelich and James Pritchett for Auckland City.


Otago kickoff.


Again Auckland start by keeping the ball well. Calm and stoic defending from Matt Joy in the penalty box for Otago prevents any trouble.


Couple of midfield free kicks in quick sucession for Auckland City.


Jason Hicks has the ball in plenty of time and space just inside the 18 yard box. His thunderbolt of shot is narrowly over the bar.


Joel Stevens breaks down the centre, finds Seamus Ryder in space down the right. His cross that looked for Burgess in the middle was a good one, but Ivan Vicelich is simply too strong in the air. Positive play from Otago.


Seamus Ryder wins a corner for Otago.


Otago again through Ryder and Stevens making trouble for Auckland. Tom Connor sends a high cross into the area which is defended easily.


Auckland Sub. 14. Adam Dickinson is replaced by 20. Emiliano Tade.


Auckland pressing and probing all over the park, but some solid backs to the wall defending by Otago gets the job done.


Andy Ridden taken out in a pretty horrendous tackle by Jason Hicks. 


GOAL OTAGO!!!!!! Do not adjust your computer screen. Regan Coldicott just 2 metres inside the lefthand touch line, about 20 metres out from the goal line, delivers what my first reaction said was a pretty poor cross. The Auckland defending was poorer. Noone touched it and it snuck in at the back post. Otago lead 1-0.


Sub Auckland. 3. Takuya Iwata replaced by 10. Luis Corrales.


Otago breaking again through Stevens, he's brought down in an awful tackle by Berlanga who recieves a yellow card.


Auckland finally playing with a bit of urgency, finally realising that 70%+ doesn't nessecarily equate to goals. The Otago defense, described last week as 'naive', is not moving though.


Burgess breaks, his lack of pace let him down slightly. Corner won for Otago. Ivan Vicelich gave referee Waugh a peice of his mind for the 3rd time in about five minutes. Waugh responded with a yellow card.


Andy Ridden has a great chance, latching onto an ariel ball. First touch let him down though.


Sub Otago. 12. Aaron Burgess makes way for 10. Ant Hancock. It's all happening here.


A Hicks free kick is punched clear by Little. Corner is intercepted by Little again. Big game from the Otago gloveman against his old team.


At some stage in all that, 13. Alex Feneridis came on for Auckland City. I'm not sure who for or when. Will confirm this post game.


  Second yellow card and a RED CARD for Otago goal scorer Regan Coldicott. Happened off the ball. Not 100% sure what for. Quite possibly for delaying the restart of play as he was taking a very long time with a throw in. Otago down to ten. Still lead 1-0.


Auckland continuing to press, but even with 10 men, the Otago defence is too good. Auckland lacking excution, some very average passes being delivered.


GOAL AUCKLAND!! Auckland have equallised through Luis Corralles. After all the pressure they stood up under, a momentary lapse in concentration at the back for Otago saw Corrales in from of goal 10 yards out. He doesn't miss from there. 1-1.


Emiliano Tade had a big chance to win it for Auckland, but body on the line defending from Matt Joy sees the scores stay level.


GOAL AUCKLAND! Auckland have stolen it! More pressure and Alex Fenerdis has his partially blocked shot, dribble over the line and into the bottom right corner.


Albert Reira earns himself a yellow card.


A massive six minutes of stoppage time to be played. Can't see Otago coming back now though.


GOAL AUCKLAND! Luis Corrales grabs a second for the match. Otago pushing forward to find an equaliser, Auckland breaks and he beats Little one-on-one.


Otago with a late chance through Ryder, but the flag is up for offside. 


Fulltime called. Auckland City win this one 3-1, but they were very lucky. Report will follow.